Membership Program - Status

58 Posts
16 Users
40 Likes
AdventurousStag
(@adventurousstag)
Stag to AdventurousHotwife Admin
Topic starter

There have been several questions about the coming Membership system. I wanted to provide some transparency about what the program will entail and what the current status is since to the community, there isn't anything visible yet.

In theory, creating a digital check-in/membership system is simple. You have an ID stored in a computer. You check that ID when people want to enter the club.

But in practice, making it work is complex. So in this post, I'm going to break it down so people who care to know more can see what we're doing.

First of all, let's talk about how it's going to work.

How will it work?

Patrons will purchase a membership and will be emailed a barcode or QR code that is their "membership card". When you arrive at SteamWorks, you will have your code scanned. That will alert the attendant if your membership is active, expired, or banned.

Memberships will only be available for purchase online. We're using a secure shopping cart so it's no different than making a purchase off of Amazon. Discounts will be available depending on how long of a membership you wish to purchase. 

Next, let's talk about the challenges we're working through.

Challenges

1. There isn't an out-of-the-box system available. Nobody makes a Membership and Check-In system for Adult Clubs that we can implement over a weekend. So that means a custom system has to be built.

2. Many software providers won't work with the adult industry. We learned this in an earlier phase of the project when we had a couple of accounts cancelled shortly after we opened them. In short, some companies simply won't support this industry.

3. Maintaining an acceptable balance between privacy and security. While not everyone is open about their participation in the lifestyle and values discretion, we also need to ensure the safety of all patrons. The only way to ensure that banning is enforced or that a situation can be escalated when required is by not allowing anonymous members into the club.

4. The system has to be easy to use. For both attendants and patrons. Many people aren't tech-savvy and that's okay, we just need a system that makes the process easy for everyone.

Tech Stuff (How It Works) 

Most people won't be interested in this section and that's okay. But for those of you who are curious about what is involved in building the membership system, this is your high-level overview.

First, there are a number of separate systems at work here:

• eCommerce store - to sell the memberships securely online
  • Central secure database - to store member information, transactions, and current membership status
  • Barcode system - so members have a discreet "membership card" to get access into the club
  • Code scanner system - so attendants can scan the member's code and retrieve the member status

So you go to the online store and you purchase your membership. The system has to log that transaction along with who purchased into the central database.

Then it has to send you a barcode or QR code. That code also needs to get stored in the central database.

Then that database needs to connect to the code scanner app. That way when the code gets scanned, it goes and retrieves the record to check the member's status. 

The challenge is making all of these systems communicate together. With a typical out-of-the-box system, all these are designed to work together. But since there isn't one available, we need to build it and program it.

This is why it's not so simple to just "roll out a membership system" for the club.

Where We're At Right Now

As of today, everything has been scoped out and the different systems have all been acquired.

The eCommerce system for selling memberships has been set up and tested and is ready to go.

We're working on the barcode delivery system and the programming to connect that to the central database.

Once that's complete, we'll be working on connecting the scanner software so it can retrieve the records from the database and deliver a status.

Because this is complex technical work, we don't have a firm completion date. There are some unknowns involved and issues arise as we work through it. We've established a goal with Jim and we're working hard to have it completed on time. 

Once we get closer to having it completed, an announcement will be made to the community so everyone has notice. 

That's the update for right now. I will add to the post as we make more progress in an effort to remain transparent about the work being done to implement this.

If you run into any issues on the forum, there are two ways I can help you:

Fastest, best: Kik me at Driv3n78

Slower: Email me at hotwifestagyeg [at] hotmail [dot] com. Expect a few days delay as I don't check my email every day.

Posted : 03/07/2023 2:16 pm
420mama and DawnMega reacted
wammt
(@wammt)
Reputable Member

Thanks for the update. Does that mean for couples that each need their own membership?

Sexy Senior Swinksters

Posted : 03/07/2023 2:53 pm
AdventurousStag
(@adventurousstag)
Topic starter

@wammt that's a good question and I don't have a firm answer about that as that isn't my call to make.

From a technical standpoint, my initial thought is that yes, you would because it's the purchase of the membership online that triggers the barcode delivery (your membership card) and puts you in the database.

And since the club is moving to no anonymous members, that would be the only way to do it from a technical standpoint.

However, I have to be very clear that this is not my decision to make so this is only speculation at this point.

Slower: Email me at hotwifestagyeg [at] hotmail [dot] com. Expect a few days delay as I don't check my email every day.

Posted : 03/07/2023 3:15 pm
wammt
(@wammt)
Reputable Member

Thanks for the quick reply. I expected this, but I am sure the question will come up at some time in the future again.

Sexy Senior Swinksters

Posted : 03/07/2023 3:24 pm
PhotoguyAB
(@photoguyab)
Trusted Member

I would say that it makes more sense having the identification for each individual and not couples.  What if only one half of the couple comes out, how does one differentiate between the two.

Posted : 03/07/2023 4:55 pm
wammt
(@wammt)
Reputable Member

I agree; however there are various lifestyle groups that have couples' memberships. I asked to avoid confusion.

Sexy Senior Swinksters

Posted : 03/07/2023 5:37 pm
(@Anonymous 763)
Eminent Member Guest

You are right about one thing, a lot of us are not "tech savvy" and I am definitely one of them.

And what about the "casual" customer who just turns up after a long journey expecting entrance, only to be denied, and what about the regulars that don't happen to read this site and will also be denied entrance?

We seem to live in a society where businesses constantly change their format/requirements......and for what it's worth, (not a lot I am sure as the decision has already been made) I think this might be a very good idea.......to lose customers.

Privacy and anonymity when visiting steamworks (strangely enough as it appears I am bucking the trend)is important to me.   

What next, you want photo ID?  Ask to see something like a driving licence to prove who I am?   No thanks.

For the best part of 30 years I have frequented Georgia Baths, Down Under, and Steamworks without this proposition, so I think I will be giving this a miss.

If I didn't know better (which I do) I may think this is a scam just to get hold of people's personal contact details.   I don't think it is, but just saying.  Either way, as I see the word "purchase" is used,  why should I pay for the privilege of giving my personal contact details to a company, especially one that I am protective about others knowing I use their services? 

I am not looking for a response as the decision is already made, but this is customer # 1 that Steamworks has lost.    When one thinks of the business that Steamworks is in, it is almost laughable that this idea would even be considered.......especially on the background of only a short time ago we were being told that steamworks was on the verge of shutting down!!!!

Posted : 03/07/2023 9:25 pm
(@Anonymous 36)
Eminent Member Guest

Thanks so much for the info 😀 that was well written 

Posted : 03/07/2023 9:49 pm
(@Anonymous 36)
Eminent Member Guest

Everything you're doing is so appreciated 

Posted : 03/07/2023 9:49 pm
(@fundawg)
Honorable Member

Will advance notice of the activation date be posted so that gay patrons who wish to continue to protect their privacy and personal information can visit 1 last time before before these electronic payment and surveillance systems are in place?

Thanks!

Posted : 03/07/2023 10:06 pm
Heavy metal 666
(@heavy-metal-666)

@ktrouble in the meantime do not go there by yourself and always go in pairs or planned meets I would suggest and stay the fuck away especially from the maze of sauna room when your by yourself. Learned that lesson already haha! Also I messaged you on kik and I hope you reply I would live to chat with you ktrouble!😁

X

Posted : 03/07/2023 10:12 pm
Bionic reacted
AdventurousStag
(@adventurousstag)
Topic starter

@smoothbttm In regards to casual customers or regulars that show up without a membership, they can purchase one using their phone right from the entrance using the free Wi-Fi. The system will work almost instantly. Within a minute or two they would have their barcode and be in the system. There is also a transition period being planned so for a time, someone won't be denied entry. There will be more to come on this later. 

Privacy/anonymity and security is a sliding scale. The more private and anonymous it is, the less safe the environment can be. So while we all certainly respect everyone's desire to be discreet and private (myself included - no face pics for me), we simply can't assure the highest levels of safety for patrons if people can enter the club anonymously and there's no recourse if they misbehave. Providing a safe environment for patrons isn't a laughable matter, it's very serious and why the move is being made.

Change is hard. And we recognize for some people, this isn't going to work for them. But for many others, this is what's needed to provide an environment where they feel safe and comfortable. We believe that making these changes is going to deter the people who will break the rules and cause trouble out of the club. And as a result that will draw in more good people who want to feel safe and can have a good time.

@ktrouble You offered some good suggestions and we've forwarded the suggestions made by others over to the management team as well. I'm sure they will announce their plan. I am not part of the management team so unfortunately I don't know their plan and can't comment. I can only comment on the areas that I help in. I'm sorry I don't have a better response for you.

@fundawg While we certainly hope you will continue to come and enjoy SteamWorks, there will be advanced notice given, yes. What's being discussed is having a transition period between moving from the current check-in process to the Membership check-in process allowing people time to adjust and get their membership. 

@heavy-metal-666 thank you for the comments and I'm sorry to hear about your incident. This is exactly the type of thing we want to stop from happening. You're exactly right. We all want to be private and discreet. But those people who can't exercise restraint or get consent will know now that they are on record visiting and if an incident were to happen, they would be easily identified, banned, and the situation could be escalated if needed. That's what we feel will deter these types of people from coming to the club. And that will lead to a safer environment which will attract more good people. 

Posted : 04/07/2023 7:35 am
Jim reacted
(@fundawg)
Honorable Member

@AdventurousStag

Thank you for your reply.

I look forward to the implementation timeline being published.

A transition period would be appreciated.

Cheers.

Posted : 04/07/2023 8:32 pm
King007
(@king007)
Trusted Member

Posted by: @adventurousstag

There have been several questions about the coming Membership system. I wanted to provide some transparency about what the program will entail and what the current status is since to the community, there isn't anything visible yet.

In theory, creating a digital check-in/membership system is simple. You have an ID stored in a computer. You check that ID when people want to enter the club.

But in practice, making it work is complex. So in this post, I'm going to break it down so people who care to know more can see what we're doing.

First of all, let's talk about how it's going to work.

How will it work?

Patrons will purchase a membership and will be emailed a barcode or QR code that is their "membership card". When you arrive at SteamWorks, you will have your code scanned. That will alert the attendant if your membership is active, expired, or banned.

Memberships will only be available for purchase online. We're using a secure shopping cart so it's no different than making a purchase off of Amazon. Discounts will be available depending on how long of a membership you wish to purchase. 

Next, let's talk about the challenges we're working through.

Challenges

1. There isn't an out-of-the-box system available. Nobody makes a Membership and Check-In system for Adult Clubs that we can implement over a weekend. So that means a custom system has to be built.

2. Many software providers won't work with the adult industry. We learned this in an earlier phase of the project when we had a couple of accounts cancelled shortly after we opened them. In short, some companies simply won't support this industry.

3. Maintaining an acceptable balance between privacy and security. While not everyone is open about their participation in the lifestyle and values discretion, we also need to ensure the safety of all patrons. The only way to ensure that banning is enforced or that a situation can be escalated when required is by not allowing anonymous members into the club.

4. The system has to be easy to use. For both attendants and patrons. Many people aren't tech-savvy and that's okay, we just need a system that makes the process easy for everyone.

Tech Stuff (How It Works) 

Most people won't be interested in this section and that's okay. But for those of you who are curious about what is involved in building the membership system, this is your high-level overview.

First, there are a number of separate systems at work here:

• eCommerce store - to sell the memberships securely online
  • Central secure database - to store member information, transactions, and current membership status
  • Barcode system - so members have a discreet "membership card" to get access into the club
  • Code scanner system - so attendants can scan the member's code and retrieve the member status

So you go to the online store and you purchase your membership. The system has to log that transaction along with who purchased into the central database.

Then it has to send you a barcode or QR code. That code also needs to get stored in the central database.

Then that database needs to connect to the code scanner app. That way when the code gets scanned, it goes and retrieves the record to check the member's status. 

The challenge is making all of these systems communicate together. With a typical out-of-the-box system, all these are designed to work together. But since there isn't one available, we need to build it and program it.

This is why it's not so simple to just "roll out a membership system" for the club.

Where We're At Right Now

As of today, everything has been scoped out and the different systems have all been acquired.

The eCommerce system for selling memberships has been set up and tested and is ready to go.

We're working on the barcode delivery system and the programming to connect that to the central database.

Once that's complete, we'll be working on connecting the scanner software so it can retrieve the records from the database and deliver a status.

Because this is complex technical work, we don't have a firm completion date. There are some unknowns involved and issues arise as we work through it. We've established a goal with Jim and we're working hard to have it completed on time. 

Once we get closer to having it completed, an announcement will be made to the community so everyone has notice. 

That's the update for right now. I will add to the post as we make more progress in an effort to remain transparent about the work being done to implement this.

why so complicated,  look and learn from gay sauna in Calgary 

Posted : 04/07/2023 9:27 pm
7inchwondercock
(@7inchwondercock)
Reputable Member

Whilst holding IDs may seem like a good idea. Or defeats the purpose of the membership system to weed out all the unwanted people.

7inch

Posted : 07/07/2023 2:07 pm
Page 1 / 4

SteamWorks Blog

Discovering Your Kinks in an Open, Supportive Environment

Discovering Your Kinks in an Open, Supportive Environment

Exploring our sexual desires can be difficult and intimidating - especially when discovering your kinks and desires involve alternative practices. Unfortunately, due to stigmas and misunderstandings, those who are exploring alternative sexual interests may not always...

read more
Haven’t Checked Out SteamWorks Yet?

Haven’t Checked Out SteamWorks Yet?

We get it, walking into a place like SteamWorks for the first time can be a daunting experience. It’s important to remember that everyone is there to explore their sexuality and have a good time, so keep an open mind and respect other people's boundaries. We do have a...

read more
“I am a complete newbie and went for my first time last Saturday night. I had a completely amazing, sexy hot time. I was very comfortable. Super chill people. My first time being nude in front of total strangers was no problem at all. It was positive all around, a wonderful night, and I'm excited to return very soon. 👍❤️”

tallblueeyeguy

“Been a client for about 5 years. Great atmosphere. Cool patrons. Awesome staff. Will continue coming / cumming.”

7inchwondercock

“SteamWorks is where all the fun happens. Let it cum, let it cum, let it cum... ❤️❤️❤️❄️❄️❄️”

parukkutty

“Been a client since 2015, when Monday was the only co-ed night. Definitely seen lots of improvement in the facility, such as hot tub, fuck alley, nicer and wider lounge area, better sauna and much more!”

HardD

“It has a great spa atmosphere with super friendly people, great location with lots of upscale restaurants & lounges close by. Lots of available parking on site and off.”

hungwithnine

“Great place! It's an excellent place to maybe step outside your boundaries and try some things you may not feel comfortable doing anywhere else. I have had a lot of fun at SW over the years and hope for many more. ”

Babygurl

“Great atmosphere to have fun. The feeling of being free is more than one can ask for. Let SW unleash your inner desire to be who you are and find what you are looking for. Keep Cumming!”

bigbearboy

“I have visited SteamWorks off and on, for 7 years. As a person who suffers from both body dysmorphia and previous sexual identity confusion, SteamWorks is one of the only places I feel comfortable with me.”

TiddleWinks

“At SteamWorks, I’ve had the opportunity to have some group play experiences I never thought possible.”

milfandcookies

“SteamWorks has given me a new lease on life! Lol”

mhad418

“While it took me a few visits to get truly comfortable with the layout, it took significantly less time to get comfortable with the other patrons! SW is the light of my week!”

DawnMT

“Steamworks is an experience for open-minded individuals.  It will also open your mind even more than it already is. It adds some spice to our lives.”

PrettyShyPeachyPie

First Timers

Events

FAQs